Monday, October 18, 2010

Hotel review: Model Laura Bailey is your guide to the swish Soho Beach House Miami

By LAURA BAILEY

Style in the shade: Soho Beach House Miami opened at the start of October


When I lived in New York, my modelling work often took me to Miami. Much to my regret, I hadn't been back for several years - so I was looking forward to renewing my acquaintance with the city even for a couple of days.

What a revelation. I was amazed by just how much you can fit into a weekend. The absolute highlight was the chance to experience the brand new Soho Beach House Miami, Nick Jones's third North American property. It stands alongside his other Soho House private members' clubs which have expanded from the first in London to a chain stretching to New York and West Hollywood.

The ocean-front Miami house, in the Mid-Beach area, is not only a private members' club and boutique hotel, it has a Cowshed Spa and Cecconi's restaurant, both open to the public.

During the opening weekend I was completely and utterly spoiled: I expected a certain level of luxury but the place vastly surpassed even my expectations - everything was stylish and delightful.

My enjoyment was enhanced as fellow guests included two of Britain's brightest comedians, Michael McIntyre and James Corden, whose company at dinner in Cecconi's provided one of the more amusing evenings of my life.

Soho Beach House occupies what was once the well-known Sovereign Hotel, an Art Deco building next to the famous Fontainebleau Hotel - which itself used to be a favourite Fifties hangout of Frank Sinatra and Sammy Davis Jnr.


Hideaway: The hotel brings a little London swagger to Miami


The former hotel has been completely refurbished, expanded and revitalised. And it's in a great location. You're far enough away from South Beach to avoid the crowds but near enough to take advantage of its clubs, restaurants and shops.

Nick Jones has expanded the property to include a 16-storey oceanfront tower which boasts super-large rooms with stunning, wraparound views of the beach. The restaurant is a particular delight: there is something-very special about its location right next to the ocean.

I must admit that I fell in love with Miami all over again. It is undergoing a major revival driven by art and fashion.

The opening of Soho Beach House is timely - expect it to become the home of the smart set. Nick Jones told me that from his first visit to Miami he was 'blown away by the sexy vibe, the beautiful Art Deco buildings and incredible beaches'.

'I knew instantly I wanted to bring a Soho House there,' he said. And so did Soho House members when the idea was put to them. 'It's a place where I hope our members and guests will meet, sleep and definitely play.'

What particularly impressed me is that the Beach House's design reflects many of Miami's cultural influences. There is a Tiki Bar - in a lush, elevated private garden, it's a secluded sanctuary for dining - while the Club Bar is a homage to a traditional Forties Cuban lounge.



In the know: Model Laura Bailey has been impressed by what she has seen of the hotel


A highlight for me was the rooftop pool, which overlooks Biscayne Bay.

Everything about the Beach House - from the cabanas near the beach to the elegant dining room - gives the place a feeling of old Hollywood; you expect to see Cary Grant or Gregory Peck climbing out of the pool.

Soho House New York is my base whenever I visit the Big Apple. Now the Beach House in Miami will be my base whenever I return here - and I plan to come back as often as I can.


Travel Facts

Double rooms at Soho Beach House Miami start at £142 for members and £199 for non-members. For further information, visit www.sohobeach house.com.

British Airways (www.ba.com) offers return flights from Heathrow to Miami from £499.40.


source: dailymail

No comments:

Post a Comment