Friday, November 19, 2010

Have you been a good boy, John Terry? Christmas comes early for ex-England captain

By DAILY MAIL REPORTER

He knows if you've been bad or good: but John Terry was on his best behaviour at Winter Wonderland


They say that Santa Claus knows if you've been naughty or nice - but John Terry didn't look too worried about the prospect when he took the family for an early Christmas treat.

The former England captain, his wife Toni Poole and their four-year-old twins Georgie and Summer, were among the special guests at the launch of this year's Winter Wonderland in London's Hyde Park on Thursday.

And despite a turbulent year - in which he was stripped of his England captaincy after his fling with lingerie model Vanessa Perroncel was exposed - the 29-year-old did not appear nervous about meeting Father Christmas.

In fact he appeared unconcerned that his recent behaviour would be found out by the man in red, as he paid him a visit in his grotto.

Terry was one of a string of celebrities who turned out to celebrate the launch of Winter Wonderland, which runs from November 19 - January 4 and features shopping, a funfair and London's largest open air ice rink.

Among the others who turned out to the opening night were Sinitta who brought along her five-year-old daughter Magdalena and her son Zac, three.



You'd better watch out: but Santa Claus not only welcomed Terry to his grotto but his whole family


The pop star joined Zac on the rides, and the family also had the chance to meet Santa and his elves.

TV presenter Angelica Bell joined in the fun while WAG Lizzie Cundy - who at one point had been tipped to appear on I'm A Celebrity...Get Me Out Of Here!, had clearly decided that skating in Hyde Park was a safer prospect as she turned out for the launch.

Radio and TV host Vanessa Feltz and her partner Ben Ofoedu were also among those who attended, as well as glamour model Nicola McLean and her son Rocky.


Feeling festive: Terry, wife Toni Poole and twins Georgie and Summer enjoyed the Christmas treats on offer


Terry, meanwhile, has finally lifted the lid on his feelings over losing his captaincy following his involvement with Perroncel, who was the girlfriend of his team mate Wayne Bridge.

'But I would never dislike him for that. He is the manager, he lives by his decisions.

'People presume we fell out, but there was no shouting and screaming the day he told me. I accepted it.

'I said to Fabio I would continue to train and play exactly as I had before, then we shook hands and that was it. I'm not saying it was a good day.


Winter fun: the footballer appeared close to his wife Toni Poole as they snacked on chips and enjoyed the attractions


John also came under fire for criticising team manager Fabio Capello during the national team's disastrous stint in the tournament, which saw them crash out after losing 4-1 to Germany.

Speaking of his loss of captaincy, Terry said, 'I understood the decision at the time. Fabio said he wanted to take the spotlight off me, although if I am honest I thought it had the reverse effect.

'But I would never dislike him for that. He is the manager, he lives by his decisions.

'People presume we fell out, but there was no shouting and screaming the day he told me. I accepted it. I said to Fabio I would continue to train and play exactly as I had before, then we shook hands and that was it. I'm not saying it was a good day.


In Wonderland: Lizzie Cundy came along to join in the fun as did TV presenter Angellica Bell


'Only the penalty miss for Chelsea in the Champions League final in 2008 hurt as much,' Terry admitted, 'but we have moved on.

'People might not like to hear this, but I just thought it was a little disrespectful,' he added. 'I had no choice but to get on with it, though.

'That is how I feel now. I don't envisage I will be captain again, but for two England managers, Steve McClaren and Fabio Capello, I was their first choice and I'm proud of that.'


'Tis the season to be jolly: Nicola McLean brought along son Zac, while Vanessa Feltz and her partner Ben Ofoedu met Santa


'I just felt, "OK, I've been stripped of the captaincy, but don't take the p*** out of me". Fabio had told me at the meeting that I was still a big voice in the dressing room and he wanted that to continue, but on the night it felt the opposite.'

'People might not like to hear this, but I just thought it was a little disrespectful,' he added. 'I had no choice but to get on with it, though.

'That is how I feel now. I don't envisage I will be captain again, but for two England managers, Steve McClaren and Fabio Capello, I was their first choice and I'm proud of that.'



All wrapped up: Sinitta and her children braved the cold winter night in their wellies


Winter Wonderland runs from November 19 - January 4 2011 in Hyde Park, London.


source: dailymail

No comments:

Post a Comment