Saturday, November 27, 2010

'I didn't want this to end': Lembit Opik becomes the second star to be evicted from I'm A Celebrity... Get Me Out Of Here!

By Sarah Bull



Time to say goodbye: Lembit Opik has become the second celebrity to be voted off I'm A Celebrity... Get Me Out Of Here!


Lembit Opik became the second star to leave I'm A Celebrity last night after his antics failed to entertain viewers.

The former MP had attempted to make his campmates laugh with his poor attempts at humour, but the jokes didn't go down too well with his fellow stars.

But he did manage to last 14 days in the camp, before Ant and Dec told him his time in the jungle had come to an end after he found himself in the bottom two with Linford Christie.


Together again: Lembit poses with girlfriend Merily McGivern after coming out of the jungle


After saying goodbye to the rest of his campmates, it was time for Lembit to head across the rickety bridge and be interviewed by Ant and Dec.

Asked how he felt to be out, Lembit replied: 'It feels really strange to be out.

There's a real sense of team spirit in there so I'll miss them but I'll see them in a week so it's not too bad.

'The experience exceeded my expectations in a good way. I now know I can survive the jungle. Secondly, I know I can survive in times of relative hardship and thirdly, I've never been bitten by a snake before!

'I could have easily done this experience fora few more days. I feel good about what I learned and I didn't want that to end.

'If you go into this like I have, you learn so much.'


Time to go: It was between Lembit and Linford Christie, with Lembit told he was the second person to leave the camp


Ant and Dec then asked Lembit how he felt about former campmate Gillian McKeith's fainting episodes, which were first seen when she and the politician took part in the Crate Escape Bushtucker Trial.

But, despite many people debating whether her fainting was real, Lembit insisted the nutritionist was really struggling to overcome her many phobias.

He said: 'Gillian has had an incredible journey and she basically was phobic about insects, confined spaces, water .... in other words everything this show is about.


The long way home: Lembit makes his way across the rickety bridge to greet presenters Ant and Dec


Seeing him off: Lembit's campmates wave as he makes his way out of the jungle


'And eventually she tried to conquer it and in my view she has been an absolute star. In my view she's shown people they can conquer their fears.'

However, Lembit did say Gillian scared him during the trial when she began screaming.

He laughed: 'I wasn't going to faint but I nearly bottled it halfway through because I heard Gillian screaming and I thought she was being killed.'


Telling all: Lembit was interviewed by Ant and Dec about his time in the camp after being evicted


Rewarding: Lembit insisted he had thoroughly enjoyed his time on the show and had learned a lot about himself


But there was one incident Lembit perhaps became most famous for - when he was bitten by a snake while trying to succeed in an immunity trial during his time in jungle jail.

Asked about the bite, and shown footage of his reaction, Lembit said: 'I didn't scream then, I nearly did now. I've still got the scars.

'The one thing I found out about jungle wildlife is that I was afraid of snakes - I though it was a rubber mat at all. I couldn't believe a snake had bitten me - so I'm not afraid of snakes any more.'

And, at the end of the interview when Lembit was asked who he wanted to win, his political stance came out as he declared: 'I'm not going to make that judgement, they're all friends. I'm a democrat.'

Lembit was met by girlfriend Merily McGivern as he posed for photographers on the end of the bridge.



Source:Dailymail

No comments:

Post a Comment