Monday, November 1, 2010

No more hits from me, says Elton John as he admits he can't compete with Lady Gaga

By DAILY MAIL REPORTER

Sir Elton John says he can no longer compete with young stars such as Lady Gaga and will never put out another solo single


He is one of the most successful songwriters of his generation.

But Elton John has said his days of writing hit tunes are over – because he can no longer compete with young stars such as Lady Gaga.

The 63-year-old man behind classic hits including Rocket Man, Your Song and Candle in the Wind, said he would continue with several ‘little side projects’, including his collaboration with U.S. pop band Scissor Sisters, but announced he would never put out another solo single.

Sir Elton told GQ magazine: ‘Look, I’m 63. I don’t want to be on VH1 or MTV. I’m not going to compete with JLS or Lady Gaga.

‘I’m at that stage where I don’t think I can write pop music any more. I can’t sit down and do a proper rock song. It was OK when I was 25 or 26, but not any more.

‘I like to do my little side projects like Scissor Sisters and have fun, but I don’t think Elton John will be putting any pop singles out.’

The singer formed half of one of pop’s most successful song-writing partnerships with lyricist Bernie Taupin in 1967 and went on to have more than 50 Top 40 hits.


Sir Elton has said he will continue with several 'little side projects', including his collaboration with the Scissor Sisters


He has sold more than 250 million records in a career spanning five decades.
Earlier this month he released The Union, an album of duets with U.S. singer song-writer Leon Russell.

When he launched the album at the BBC Electric Proms last week, he said: ‘I can’t make pop records any more and I hate videos. I just watched VH1 and it makes me want to vomit.

‘I’ve made 40-odd albums. People aren’t screaming for another Elton John record – I’m not screaming to make another record.’

Despite criticising contemporary pop singers including Alexandra Burke and Leona Lewis, he has shown admiration for Lady Gaga.

Sir Elton performed a duet with the flamboyant American singer last February at the Grammy Awards in Los Angeles.


Sir Elton and Lady Gaga performed a duet at the Grammy Awards in Los Angeles this year


source :dailymail

No comments:

Post a Comment